Tuesday 8 November 2022

A train trip to Filey

 

I got the 9:21 train to Filey, the strikes have been cancelled and the trains to Scarborough appeared to be running in time, so I chanced it. I have been avoiding travelling by bus or train lately due to the strikes, but I felt that my feet needed a bit of a rest from urban tarmac pounding. It was a breezy day, with a relentless southerly wind, but at least it was mild, with 12-13 oC. It was low tide as I arrived at the beach, and I walked towards the Brigg. A few Rock Pipits, Oystercatchers, Crows and Black-headed Gulls fed amongst the seaweed.

Rock Pipit.

A female and male Kestrels were hovering over the grassy slopes of Carr Naze, both furiously chased by Carrion Crows, mobbing them with Gannet-like calls. As I reached the Brigg, the wind was ferocious and there was no way of sheltering from it. I turned round after a few minutes and retraced my steps to Arndale Ravine.

Bait digger.

 I climb Arndale Ravine and walk across the Country Park to Long Lane. A lone Redwing is feeding on the ground.

Redwing.
Roe Deer.

By the rocket pole field I find a Stonechat, the first one I see this year. It's really hard to keep the camera steady and this is the best shot I get!

View North towards Scarborough and the North York Moors' coast.
From the clifftop, a Guillemot and a Great Black-back Gull float on the water. Three Shags fly off from the cliff, looking on nervously.
Guillemot.
Nervous Shags.

The reason for their watchfulness becomes apparent when I spot a Peregrine sitting on the cliff.

Peregrine. This was the clearest shot out of many attempts to steady the camera in the strong wind.

Four of the fourteen Oystercatchers feeding on the Country Park.

2 comments:

Ralph Hancock said...

Splendid picture of the Kestrel.

Africa Gomez said...

Thank you so much Ralph! Right place right time that one, I was very pleased