Tuesday 29 June 2021

Urban River Hull: Oak Road to Reich Carter Way in summer

 

A walk between Oak Road and Reich Carter way this cloudy, mild morning, the river flowing strong at a very high tide. I walked around Oak Road and had to leave to escape the clouds of large biting mosquitoes. Three cygnets with their parents were at the lake. The banks have just been mowed and a tractor was mowing the playing fields, circled by three Swallows. 
A fledgling Pied Wagtail just after being fed by its parent. 
A Reed Bunting singing from the river bank.
Sutton Bridge. If you climb the stairs visible in the photo you get the view at the top of the blog.
Male Sparrowhawk. After Crows were calling in an agitated way, I spotted the Sparrowhawk, it was flying along the bank, close to the ground, barrelling towards me, and then landed on a tree just by me, allowing a few shots. The dark red eye colour identify it as an adult male.
By Haworth Hall I heard and spotted a singing Sedge Warbler, then presumably the female turned up with a billfull of food for chicks. 
Also feeding chicks, a crow being hasled by 3 youngsters. Young crows have a red mouth, quite obvious when they beg.
I looked at a grassy ares by hedgerows where I often find rabbits and there was this cob roe deer, chewing the cud, oblivious to me taking photos of it. It only glanced at me once.



You can see the rabbit by the roe deer in this photo.

The view west from Reich Carter Way.
Kestrel overhead.
This Whitethroat was alarmed atop a bramble bush, probably nesting in it.
Roe Bank (or Bransholme) Reservoir.
The only thing of note a Little Grebe. A pair was trilling closer to the path, but I couldn't see them.
Several fishermen were in position along the river.

No comments: