Tuesday 29 June 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates sunny afternoon week 26

 After the long walk this morning I wasn't planning to go to the patch this afternoon, but then, the sun came out and I fancied having a sunny session at the cemetery, so I headed towards Sculcoates via the cycle track. As I passed the garage, I saw a Kingfisher on a pipe under the bridge, the first on the patch! It stayed long enough for me to change the settings of the camera and take a few shots. On my way back, I told one of the locals who said that's what he had seen a couple of weeks back (but he did say he had seen a hummingbird!). Anyway, I'm glad the 'hummingbird mystery' is sorted, and also glad this is not a one off, but the Kingfisher might be using the drain regularly.

A nice, unexpected addition to the patch list. On the breeding bird side, I added Dunnock fledgling to the growing list of birds with confirmed breeding in the patch. A young moorhen was also present near the metal pipes used by the terrapins.

Dunnock fledgling.

Moorhen chick.

It was warm and the sunny spells were long enough for insects to be active. I was quite surprised of the number of damselflies feeding in the cemetery, despite the distance to the nearest water. 

Volucella pellucens having a rest.
A male Red Admiral guarding its patch. It flew up to passing red admirals and while close to the other individual it fluttered almost hovering behind, possibly assessing if it was a female?
Merodon equestris.
The wonderful Volucella zonaria, one present in the south cemetery.
Eristalis arbustorum, not very common in East Yorkshire at all.
Another guarding Red Admiral on a headstone.
Nursery web spider with it's beautiful egg sac. 
I need to determine which species this is. A burnet moth with 5 spots, could be narrow bordered or 5 spotted burnet.

Oedemera nobilis.
Common Blue damselfly.
The first Ringlet of the patch made an appearance, but it wasn't settling for photos, so to end, here is a much more obliging Large Skipper.

No comments: