Monday 28 June 2021

A Withersea trip

A return trip six months after the stranding of the Sperm Whales at Withernsea. I parked at Pier Road and walk along the promenade and then the beach as the tide ebbed. Young Herring Gull chicks called from in between chimney pots.

I wasn't really sure what to expect, even if any of the whales would still be on the beach. But I needn't worry, as I left the north promenade behind, I would see two shapes in the distance, resembling big rocks: two Sperm Whales remained. Trigger warning: Gruesome images of dead whales coming up!

Several colonies of Sand Martins were nesting on the cliffs, surely benefiting from the flies attracted by the whales.




No corvids or any other carrion feeders were present. But I was surprised to see some rare 'whale' pipits collecting flies on and around both whales. Several Meadow Pipits were around the whales, collecting flies for their young. One of them even landed on one of the whales regularly. 
Meadow Pipit.

It was only stinky downwind of the whales, even when very close, so I decided to inspected the whales. There was very little exposed bone, mainly around the mouth and flippers. In the absence of large carnivores to open up the carcass, other smaller carrion feeders like crows or buzzards are unable to benefit from the whale's meat. On a bloody pool, there were several large larvae, and around and near the whales, seaweed flies (Fucelia sp.). I take the young Meadow Pipits (and Sand Martins) are fed these flies, amongs, other insects. 

Seaweed fly, Fucelia, on one of the whales.
Several Meadow Pipits fed around the whales. When two became visible, they were obviously not members of a pair, as one kept chasing the other away from its 'whale'.



One of the Meadow pipits on the whale.

Meadow Pipit carrying beakful of flies.

The protruding bones on a flipper.

The maxilar bones of the roof of the mouth also exposed.


The second whale.
There was a bloody puddle by the first whale with what looked like fly larvae.
I found the spine of possibly a porpoise nearby, almost picked clean, in contrast to the whales.
Porpoise spine.
I climbed the cliff on a relatively accessible spot near one of the whales to return to Withernsea.

Linnets.
Back at Withernsea, I headed for the Lighthouse. When I did the Migrants Way, it was closed to the public, and I wanted to climb to the top. The Lighthouse Museum is also hosting the exhibition 'From Withernsea with Love' which I wanted to see. I had lunch in the cafe gardens with a friendly cat, who also came with me to the exhibition. Really recommended!
Karen Turner's wonderful quilt.
Some of the 'Pebbles of the Day' with cat.
Starlings gather atop the lighthouse.
I climb the 144 steps to the top of the lighthouse and enjoy the views over town. I wish it wasn't a cloudy day!
Looking up the lighthouse!

After the lighthouse visit, I walked around Withernsea and visited the Millennium Green, a wildlife area on the old Hull-Withernsea train line, which was a very nice surprise: Sedge Warblers, Whitethroats, Reed Buntings, and Song Thrushes were singing. A combination of scrub, grassland and wet areas, worth visiting if you are around.

No comments: