Monday 14 June 2021

Alkborough Flats in June

 Although I have visited Alkborough Flats quite a few times, I hadn't visited since last October, and never in June. The lure of a potential lifer in the form of Glossy Ibis made me choose this site as this week long trip. It was warm, but the wind had a fresh feel and it was mostly overcast with a few sunny spells.

The water in the main lake was very high and few birds were showing, so I didn't stay very long in the hide. I initially planned a circular walk, but didn't take my wellies, and the path to the Trent was flooded in places, so I ended up walking back and forth. 

Cetti's Warblers were in evidence from the car park and a pair of Bearded Tits showed briefly before the hide. Sedge Warblers, Reed Warblers, Skylarks and Reed Buntings were in song. In the distant floods, there were some egrets. A few of them looked bigger, in comparison with Grey Herons standing close, they were three Great White Egrets, the largest number I've seen, and s county tick. There were six Spoonbills on the same area, their top-knots being waved in the wind as they sleep. A passing Marsh Harrier flushed the Little Egrets and about 20 flew up, this is the largest number of Little Egrets I've ever seen. 

I regularly heard booming Bitterns today, possibly two, they only called 2-4 times each time, but their calls came from both sides of the main path. Later I flushed another in a different area of the reserve.

Little Egret.
Reed Bunting.
Great White Egrets flanking a Grey Heron.
Great White Egret in flight.
Spoonbills.
Spoonbill.
Linnet
Lapwing.
Sedge Warbler.
In a few sunny spells, dragonflies came out: Hairy Dragonfly, Black-tailed Skimmer, Ruddy Darter, Azure Damselfly and Blue-tailed were recorded.
Ruddy Darter.
Mating Blue-tailed Damselflies.
Ruddy Darter
Hairy Dragonfly.
Black-tailed Skimmer.
As I looked for dragonflies in a ditch I flushed a Bittern, it flew on a wide circle and turned East, but I could only manage this record shot.
Record shot of Bittern.
More photos of the heron fest.
Great White Egrets.
This photo gives an idea of the concentration of herons in one of the fields. In another photo I counted 15 Grey Herons.
Flowering Rush.
Large Skipper.
Summer plumage Spotted Redshank.
Spotted Redshank and Avocets.

No comments: