Friday 3 June 2022

Sculcoates own Water Vole

An afternoon visit to the patch, hoping that the sunny, warm weather will get the dragonflies out in the drain. I do a butterfly list too. I start just by the cycle track and scan the drain. A family of Mallard pass by, and as I count them, a Water Vole swims past, my first one on the patch! I manage a record shot (above) before it disappears into the reeds. I wonder if the ducklings had flushed it.

 Today, there are a few Blue-tailed Damselflies about. Females lay eggs on the floating vegetation of the drain.

Blue-tailed Damselfly.
Azure Damselfly.
The first dragonfly of the year for me at Hull, a Four-spotted Chaser.
The water is very transparent, showing the lush underwater plants growing in the drain, and also allowing views of the numerous fish.
A Brown Rat crosses the drain running atop a pipe.
The three terrapins are basking separately from each other, two on old Coot's nests and one on the shore. They all look like Yellow-bellied Sliders.

The Yellow-belly Slider on the bank.

No comments: