Monday 27 June 2022

A walk around the Setting Dike, Willerby Carrs, Wood Lane and Snuff Mill Lane in June

 I did the same walk I did in April. The weather was mild, with sunny spells and showers. 

The Setting Dyke is barely flowing, the water very low. There are lots of Three-spined Sticklebacks, but no Little Egrets today.



By the Bricknell playing fields two crows rattle atop a tree, one looking up. I look up, a Peregrine! It soars on stiff wings until it disappears from view.

Peregrine.

Starling feeding on cherries.
herring gull by its nest, the chick just visible behind the pepper pots.
Butterflies

One of the best things about the day are the good numbers of butterflies. I do several lists from the County Road North to Snuff Mill Lane. Meadow Browns are particularly plentiful.

Ringlet.
Small Skipper.
Large Skipper.
Small Tortoiseshell.
Meadow Brown.
Comma.
The star of the day, a Marbled White. I see it first feeding on a creeping thistle, but lose it. Finally I spot it as it basks and allows me to take some close shots. This is the 1st marbled white I see in the Hull area.
Speckled Wood.
Large White.

As I'm very entertained with the butterflies, I fail to see a very dark storm cloud coming. It rains all the way back home, but I'm very pleased with the day's sightings.

 A Buzzard hovers, then drops to catch something. I can't see what it is carrying but it has something in its talons.

No comments: