Tuesday 21 September 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates week 38

In the last few weeks I have only paid short visits to the patch, so today, a wonderful warm, still day, I decided to stay all morning. On the playing fields there was a sizeable flock of starlings, 62, a Common Gull and a Lesser Black-backed gull and several Black-headed Gulls.


Starlings feeding on playing fields.
Part of the starling flock.
Common Gull.
I walked along the drain. A Great Spotted Woodpecker flies onto tree carrying a leaf, which was a weird thing to behold. It holds it deftly with one foot against the branch and pecks at the base. I take a few photos and when checking them at home I notice that the poplar leaf has a gall on its stalk. This is produced by an aphid, Pemphigus spyrothecae. It seems like too much effort to eat a few aphids. Great Spotted Woodpeckers are quite adaptive and resourceful, so it is something quite interesting to watch. I also learned that woodpeckers are adept foot users.
Woodpecker and poplar leaf.
At Abbey Way, I find a dead young hedgehog. As I turn it I find that it has a lot of blood on its head. Maybe it has been mauled by a dog?

The pretty pleated cap fungus, Parasola plicatilis, also at Abbey Way
I walk next to the North Cemetery. There is a good assortment of insects, and a Kestrel is soaring overhead.
Spangled Oak Galls.
Common Wasp, Vespa vulgaris.
Common Darter.
Comma.
Kestrel.
Green Shieldbug, Palomena prasina.
Speckled Wood on the Air Street cemetery.
Small White.
Now is warm enough to look for breeding activity so I explore the drain again. By the cycle track, it doesn't take long to find Willow Emeralds. There are two males that squabble every now and then, then returning to their perches. There are at least three Migrant Hawkers basking.
Migrant Hawker.
I also find Willow Emeralds on the area just north of Sculcoates Bridge, two chasing. As I return to the cycle track patch I find a pair in tandem (top shot). A pair of Migrant Hawkers are mating and Common Darter ovipositing on same stretch of drain by cycle track.
Willow Emerald.
Willow Emerald.

The patch of drain by the cycle track bridge.
I find out that there are actually four horses in the patch. They are let out of their stables and they gallop about.

This stretch of drain now has a think cover of Azolla fern.
I'm surprised to see a Moorhen nest with three eggs. Unclear if it is being incubated.
A Buzzard with a full crop is closely followed by a group of Carrion Crows.

No comments: