Tuesday 7 September 2021

Foredyke Green Pond and Noddle Hill

It had been a while since I had visited Foredyke Green pond, a sunny, hot day, I decided to visit. I would then walk to Noddle Hill for the rest of the trip. As I arrived a Southern Hawker male was patrolling. As I walked around the pond, it became apparent that there were three males, with clashes every time they met, almost like Emperors, although they keep to the shoreline vegetation. One of them rested for a little while.
Male Southern Hawker.
A female Migrant Hawker hovered over the marginal vegetation, she started ovipositing on a log, moving to different locations.


Several males were also about.
After a while, I walked to Noddle Hill. Common Blue Damselflies were by the NW entrance path. 

A flock of Common Gulls loafed on the playing fields.
The fishing lake had barely any floating vegetation and even the marginal vegetation was quite sparse in places. There weren't many dragonflies about. I searched for willow emeralds on the trees, unsuccessfully. I looked in the Emeralds pond, but there were none. I moved to the pond-dipping pond. There I found a snail killing fly.
A Snail Killing fly, Ilione albiseta I think.
And I was nicely surprised to find a terrapin, basking with rear legs outstretched, seal-style. It must have moved from the lake.
A blue-tailed damselfly oviposited in the main lake. Migrant Hawkers and Common darters were also around.
Blue-tailed Damselfly.
I returned to Foredyke Green. I walked around the pond.
Eristalinus sepulchralis, a spotty-eyed hoverfly.
I had checked the willow in the early morning, so I was surprised to find a male Willow Emerald, near it on some yellow flag leaves. A new site for Willow Emerald in Hull!

Male Willow Emeralds are brilliant for photos, they just pose. I experimented with different backgrounds.


As I was photographing the willow emerald, a male Black Darter landed nearby. My first Black darter in Hull! I scrambled for photos, but I managed a single one in focus before a Ruddy Darter male flushed it and it disappeared. I couldn't find it again unfortunately, but what an amazing surprise!
Black Darter.
Common Darters were out and mating.
A Brown Hawker female was ovipositing.
Here is the Ruddy Darter that scared the Black Darter. They are stunning!
I had to go back home for lunch, but I returned in the afternoon to the pond for more.
The male Willow Emerald was near the willow, closer now to the shore, following the sunlight.
Blue-tailed Damselfly.
Female Ruddy Darter
This area of the pond had Ruddy Darter, Willow Emerald, Common Darter and Black Darter. A Southern hawker patrolled.
Another view of the male Willow Emerald.
It was clear that the Black Darter was gone for good. I decided to visit the Midmeredales pond. Despite being very full earlier in the year, it was completely empty and dry.

I found a Slender Groundhopper, an insect often found in damp places.
Lesser Marsh Grasshopper.

No comments: