Monday 27 September 2021

Tophill Low September Rain

I drove to Tophill Low with a light rain. As I arrived, the rain became torrential, I felt like I was in a carwash. I waited for a while under the shelter of the visitor centre. The rain eventually eased and then stopped completely, and the rest of the day was breezy and cold, but with welcome sunny spells. 

I stopped by D-res first. There were many Great-crested Grebes, and a stunning juvenile Red-necked Grebe, which remained near the wall, and occasionally too close for views as it fed at its base.


I also saw a duck that I haven't seen since 1997.

In the sunny spells, dragonflies became active. There were many Common Darters about, and good numbers of Migrant Hawkers. Just before I left, on the visitor centre pond, a Male Southern Hawkers stopped to bask. 

Migrant Hawker.

Common Darter.
Southern Hawker.
This handsome Noon Fly, Mesembrina meridiana, allowed me to get very close, probably due to the cool temperature today

I went to Watton, but it was very windy in the hide. At South Marsh, the Pectoral Sandpiper was about, a lifer! It was very active, crossing the water between the islands gingerly. At some point it crouched down by a Teal. Unclear why, but it might have spotted two Buzzards gliding on the wind above the marsh. It was feeding on stop with Teal, Pied Wagtail and a Common Sandpiper. There were 26 Curlew on the islands, some become very vocal and left.




Pectoral Sandpiper and Pied Wagtail.
This Black-tailed Godwit had an injured wing.
Drake Shoveler in eclipse.


No comments: