Sunday 9 May 2021

Urban birding at Hull. Sculcoates. Week 18.

I had a walk around the patch yesterday morning. There was a forecast of rain, so I went quite early trying to get ahead of it, but I didn't last long. First drizzle, then rain, so I didn't last very long. Today it was completely different, although still dark clouds passed by in between sunny spells, it was mild, even warm at times. I took a different route through the kilometre square, taking a cycle path from Beverley Road by the Endeavour building.

I got to the drain by Bridlington avenue and stranded just outside the patch, lured by the song of a Reed Warbler. At my first attempt I couldn't see it, but I persevered and managed to watch it singing amongst the dry reeds.
Reed Warbler patch.
Reed Warbler singing.
Reed Warbler singing
Swallows were in attendance at each bridge. At Barmston street bridge, only a male was present. He stopped for some singing and stretching on a lamp-post (top shot and below).
Barmston street bridge.
On the way back, I found my first mollusc in the patch, a Strawberry snail.

As I reached the cycle lane, a party of hirundines, with at least four House Martins were hunting over the trees. From previous visits, I don't think they nest in this km2 so nice to add a migrant tick to the patch.
Two Whitethroats were at territory, one along the drain.
A pair of Greylags appeared to be looking for a nesting site.
Green-veined white and Orange tip male, which didn't stop were the two butterflies of the day.
A gravid spider was crossing the path, likely to be Alopecosa pulverulenta, the most common species in the genus.
This cat is my favourite one at the patch, with a lovely wild coat and a unique face.
When passing by Pearson Park I saw that the mallard duck with two ducklings had adopted the greylag nest and was sitting on the eggs with her ducklings.

The Greylag pair were with the gosling not far away.

No comments: