Monday 10 May 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Loglands and East Carr

 A windy, cool and changeable weather in the morning, I took a walk around Loglands, East Carr and Castle Hill. It has been a while since I've visited Loglands. Chiffchaffs, Blackcap and a Willow Warbler are singing. Whitethroats and a Lesser Whitethroat are also settled on the ample scrub of the site.

An overgrown hawthorn hedge makes a tunnel.

Woodpigeons and Stock Doves on the fields.
I spot a family of Long-tailed tits. This is one of the fledglings.
Over the Longhill playing fields, a group of Swifts and House Martins is feeding along the tree line. These are the first swifts of the year for Hull!
I visit the pond. There doesn't seem to be much action and clouds obscure the sun so I don't linger too much.
Holderness drain.
I leave the reserve and move onto East Carr, walking by the Holderness drain. Skylarks sing. And I hear the call of a yellowhammer on the driving range.
Whitethroat.
A view of East Carr.
Yellowhammer by driving range.
Yellowhammer and St Mark's flies by the Hornsea cycle path.
I reach the Hornsea Cycle path and explore the Castle Hill mound, the remains of a medieval castle. A Sedge Warbler is singing from a hawthorn and at some point becomes quite exposed.



Castle Hill.
A beech starting to be on leaf atop Castle hill. There are also some mature ashes, with some Stock Doves.
I return via a field boundary. A Reed Bunting sings, and Skylarks. I see a white bird flying low in the distance and I get very excited that it's a Barn Owl. But no, it is a Little Egret, which drops onto the ditch. It is nice to have them around. 
Suttoncross Drain.
Little Egret.
Little Egret.
Somebody could have had a window tick of Little Egret.

No comments: