Monday 3 May 2021

Urban birding at Hull: early May at Noddle Hill

 A badly timed attempt to get up for the dawn chorus (it's International Dawn Chorus day) to Noddle Hill as I searched for sunrise not dawn. By the time I got to the reserve it was 6:00 and quite bright. There was a hard frost, I even had to scrape the ice off the car windscreen. On the way there I saw a Fox by the road and a rabbit on a verge in an area I don't see them. This bode well for the rest of the day.

I parked at Kesteven way and made my way to the reserve. The frost made me feel like I was in January. I spotted a fox at the other side of the road (top shot). It occasionally game me a glance, but it carried on its way. 


It was a bit misty over the fields. A view through the binoculars revealed a hare, and another was further away in a different field.
As I walked by the playing fields I spotted another fox. First I thought it might be the same, but the photo reveals a much paler individual, with a warier stance. It kept looking back and trotted away.
I walked by the Foredyke Stream, taking in all the bird song, with Sedge Warblers, Lesser Whitethroats, Whitethroats, Linnet Blackbird and Willow Warblers singing. A Roe Deer buck stood at the other side of the drain and gave me a good look before bounding away. 

Linnet Singing.
Roe Deer doe feeding.
I walked around the reserve as my bird list became longer. At some time I realised I was going to hit 50 species, which is a first for me at the reserve. As I walked the north side of the reserve a Cormorant flew over. A Kestrel was sitting on wires and a Buzzard in usual post. I listened for Tree Sparrows without success, but there was a pair of Yellowhammers about and the female posed nicely.
Female Yellowhammer.
Whitethroat.
Two Swallows at the dairy farm. There were a few about.
Noddle Hill lake.
The lake was dominated by the greylag growing retinue of young. But the reeds hosted a few Reed Warblers.
A line of 9 goslings behind their mother. There were many families about this morning.

There was also a family of coots with 5 young, 2 of them limping.
Before leaving I walked to the Foredyke Green Pond. As always, plenty of rabbits about.
Rabbit.
A Coot was eating a fish. It had to shake it really hard to get chunks off. I presume the fish was dead.

No comments: