Monday 1 February 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Walk to Willerby Carr

A frosty, sunny morning, I decide to take advantage of the crunchy ground and take on a walk that would be uncomfortable in milder weather because of the mud. I walked across the avenues, St Ninian's Walk and Murrayfield Road to the Setting Dyke, then walked across Children's Wood, crossed the railway line on the pedestrial bridge and finally got to Willerby Carr Dyke and community orchard. 
One of the most notable thing on the way was a meeting of crows, the noise called my attention from afar, I thought they might be mobbing a raptor, but no. They were all arranged atop a tree, calling, fanning their tails and the variety of their calls was amazing. I took two videos before carrying on.


On the corner, before taking the pedestrian bridge, I watch a large drainage pond on the corner of the playing fields. It is completely frozen.
I watch a Mistle Thrush sallying to pick the remaining berries of an orange-berried rowan. It was here when I last visited on the 1st of December. I haven't seen rowans with berries in a long while, so the Mistle Thrush strategy of chasing all other birds away to keep the berries to itself has worked. It also has a crab apple with some fruits still, and a large birch tree as a refuge.
Rowan still in berry.
The owner of the rowan.
One of a pair of Jackdaws at Priory Road.
The view of fields at the Willerby Carr area.

The Willerby Carr Dyke, frozen on this end.
Redwing.
I spot something red at the base of a hedge, It is a sleeping fox! I flush some woodpigeons and the fox raises its head and looks in my direction. After a few moments, it continues its nap in the sun.

This Magpie passing by a Grey Heron first...
...and by the fox later.
After a walk by the community orchard, with singing Robins, Greenfinches and a Song Thrush as soundscape, I start to walk back.
Magpie.
Singing Robin.
A cat basking in the sun.
The south end of the Willerby Carr dyke wasn't totally frozen.

No comments: