Sunday 21 February 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates, week 7, second visit

 A mild, cloudy day with a little wind. I find my first Lesser Celandines in bloom on the way to Sculcoates. As I get to the drain, I notice a Greenfinch singing, replying to another one. A little further there is a cacophony of Song Thrush song, as I move closer I realise there are 3 Song Thrushes in a small area, singing at the same time. There are a lot of birds in song.

Singing Greenfinch.
One of the singing Song Thrushes.
A Stock Dove near a possible nest site, a rotten trunk with plenty of woodpecker holes.
I walk through the north Cemetery at Sculcoates. The water has receded and all the paths are now passable. A single Bullfinch is in evidence. A Cormorant flies over.





I move onto the river. The tide is quite high with little mud exposed. I search for the Redshank roost. They are a bit closer than last time and easier to photograph. I count 13, all with tucked bills and holding on a single leg. If you look close you can see that some have their eyes open. When they want to move, they hop on their exposed leg, not bothering to get their tucked leg out.  
Redshank roost.

Spring does feel in the air now. The morning chorus is quite noticeable, the Black-headed gulls showing their dark heads.

No comments: