Sunday 28 February 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates, week 8

A sunny, cold day with barely any wind. I head towards Sculcoates via the cycle lane, hoping to get to the river with the highest tide possible. A Song Thrush sings. 

The Redshank roost is a bit further along today, harder to photograph. I counted 10 individuals, even though the tide wasn't too high.
This photo shows how much the new defences have moved towards the river, making it narrower.
Lesser-black Backed gulls seem to be now everywhere.
I then walk down river along Bankside, and join the drain, then walk back towards the river by Fountain road. A Peacock flies over a roof, not settling down, my first butterfly this year.
I walk to Chapman Street bridge. I want to watch the river, but this stretch is very inaccessible, with industrial buildings backing the river. The bridge seems now to be permanently closed to motorised vehicles, but is accessible to pedestrians. I look on the 
The view from Chapman Street bridge, looking north...
...and looking South.
A few Feral Pigeons have their nests under the bridge. This one was holding a stick.
This male was particularly impressive.
9:17. A flock of Pink-footed geese flies in the distance over Freetown Way. I can't even hear them.
Returning to the Drain a Pied Wagtail calls from a roof in Barmston Street.
The Beverley and Barmston drain.
A Buff-tailed Bumblebee, looking for a suitable nest site. My first in the patch. 7 spot ladybirds were also active.
A Goldcrest sung while feeding from a tree covered in ivy.
Blackthorn blossom
My first solitary bee of the year. Anthophora plumipes, in a front garden in my street.

No comments: