Saturday 9 July 2022

Sculcoates July visit with an autumnal feel


On Saturday morning it is becoming a habit that I visit the Sculcoates patch. A sunny, warm day, I got there at 7:45 and walked to the drain first via the cycle path. The grass is quite scorched as it hasn't rained much in the last couple of months. In contrast, the reeds and bank side vegetation have grown a lot so I got close and peeked over, flushing a Kingfisher! This is my 3rd Kingfisher sighting on the patch, a very good start! Then I crossed the Sculcoates lane and had a look from the pedestrian bridge. Something dived and it was too small for a Coot. It took longer to emerge too, an adult Little Grebe! It was peeking through the surface and diving, but gave me a few moments to take a photo. 


Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps were in full song today along the drain and in the cemetery.


A view of the railway triangle where the Teddy Park is.

Comma, by Teddy Park. Also Speckled Woods about.

I then moved onto the Sculcoates Cemetery. Two young birds call alternately and I finally work out there are two Chaffinch fledgling, both parents calling anxiously nearby. After a couple of photos, I leave them be. The move sideways when they beg in a curious way.


Chaffinch fledgling.

Butterflies

There are warm, sunny spells and butterflies are out in the N Cemetery. At least 3 Small Skippers, the first Gatekeepers of the year in the patch and my first Small Copper of the year, a species I only see in small numbers. 


Small Copper.

Small Skipper.

Green-veined white

The most numerous butterfly was the Ringlet today.

Gatekeeper.

Painted Lady, a nice surprise by the cycle path.

The River

I headed to the river next. The tide low. I scan the mud and spot a lone Redshank, probably in passage. There are a handful of Herring Gulls and Lesser Black-backed gulls, with five returned Black-headed Gulls.

Redshank.
Black-headed Gull.
Stock Dove.
Sunbathing Blackbird.

No comments: