Saturday 2 July 2022

Sculcoates in early July

 

A cloudy, mild morning with a light breeze. I take an early walk to Sculcoates after a while. I walk around the playing fields, which are quite empty, just a few young Herring Gulls loafing, and then move onto Bridlington Avenue.

As I walk along the drain, a Lesser Black-back Gull starts calling 'ga, ga, ga, ga!' following me. Does it recognise me from last year as something interesting in their young? Do I know you? Anyhow, I am relieved when the gull enters a crow territory and the crows see it off. Gull alarm calls are quite disturbing, especially if directed to oneself!

The alarmed LBBG

 There is an amazing 9 Pied Wagtails on the grass possibly two families, as there are many young (top shot). A family of 6 Swallows, skim the grass around the Pied Wagtails, occasionally a young gets fed in the air, something I love to watch. Two House Martins join the feeding party, flying along the trees by the drain. Also by Bridlington Avenue are two young crows, playing with sticks and leaves, and just being as goofy as young crows are.

Young Crow

Young Crows playing

Flocks of Goldfinches come down to feed on the creeping thistle seedheads

One of the young coots from the 1st brood looks much like an adult, save for the darkened bill tip.
The tide is running high on the river. I check the gull's loafing spot and there is a gull looking larger. The bill is black and thick, head quite white, legs pink. I think it is one year old Great Black-backed Gull, but I doubt myself as it is standing on its own, away from the others. 

Then two 3-year-old Lesser Black-backed Gulls land almost on top of it, it is really a GBBG!! Look at that size! It appears annoyed at the others and pulls at pieces of plants or moss from the wall a few times, not moving from its spot, occasionally looking at its feet.

Great Black-backed Gull and Lesser Black-backed gulls.

As I was leaving, I hear a Whitethroat alarm call from a buddleja by the drain and manage a photo showing that is carrying food, a fly visible in the bill, indicating it has got chicks nearby.

The coot pair has a second brood, the adult here is leading the young away from me, towards the marginal vegetation.

No comments: