Tuesday 11 January 2022

Urban birding at Hull: a walk to Victoria Dock

Today I walked across the city centre and reached the half-tide basin. I was going to pop in at Albert Dock, but I was told the lock gates were going to be left open for two hours so I ended up leaving. Still it was a 14 km walk. Although it threatened drizzle, it stayed dry, mild and calm. 

At Milky Way a pair of Stock Doves preened while a Blackbird sung all on the big poplar.


Stock Doves.
Singing Blackbird.

I stopped by Princes Quay to check the roof for the Mediterranean Gull, with no luck. A Pied Wagtail, new species for the year, somewhat compensated and also a ringed Black-headed Gull, J1P1. It is from the Norwegian scheme, and when I enter the details later I'm amazed to find later that I saw this gull on exactly the same spot last year at Princes Quay! It summers in Oslo, Norway. 

J1P1 Black-headed Gull.

White Wagtail.
A pair of Moorhens by The Dock. There were at least 4 individuals on the river.
The male Curlew was by the flood wall at Victoria Dock, then it moved to the Half-tide basin, where it promptly got a ragworm.
At the half-tide basin, three Coots a family of Mute Swans with one young and a passing Sparrowhawk.
The weak winter sun with a bit of mist over the Humber.
I'm very pleased to be able to walk on Victoria Pier, which was recently re-opened to the public.
A new addition to the fish trail.

A Redshank was at the entrance of the Marina.
A Finnish Black-headed Gull on the newly opened Victoria Dock, I managed to read the whole ring with several photos: 322216.
A Cormorant on the marina, trying to look as a piece of street furniture.
A young Herring gull scavenging.

No comments: