Tuesday 19 October 2021

Urban birding at Hull: Sculcoates week 42

A mild, gloomy rainy day, I take the usual route around the Sculcoates patch. A 40 strong flock of Starlings are feeding on the playing fields, and about 50 Goldfinches are moving across the birches. I spot two Pied Wagtails on the grass too.

Pied Wagtail.

I make a longer than usual stop at the Sculcoates bridge, as a Water Vole has been seen recently there. All year I've been hoping to connect with them, but no joy for me today. A Little Grebe was around, but it diver as it saw me, so I only got Moorhens and Mallards in the photo.


The highlight of the north Cemetery is the first Goldcrest of the autumn. Three Canada fly over. I also looked for slugs, given the ideal weather for them.

Arion vulgaris.
Deroceras reticulatum
A nice clump of male ferns in the south cemetery at Sculcoates.
White-lipped snails.
Rough Woodlice.

I move onto the river. Two Redshanks are feeding on the mudflats, one downstream and another upstream of Wilmington bridge. There are a dozen Black-headed Gulls and mostly immature Herring Gulls in their usual spot. A Moorhen is at the water's edge by the bridge.

Redshank.
Moorhen.
Common Inkcap.

No comments: