Tuesday 5 October 2021

East Park in October

 I took a walk around East Park, taking advantage of a morning of sunny spells and mild weather in between rain showers. Despite the sun, it was too cold for active dragonflies to start with. But I checked the branches of willows and alders for oviposition scars of the Willow Emerald. I was only successful on al alder near where I saw a male las month.

Oviposition scars of Willow Emerald on Alder. 

They were found in the alder in the centre of the photo.

Four young swans flew together. They are the surviving offspring of two pairs that bred in the park this year, although only three adults were present.

The pale Red-crested Pochard was also present.

While Woodpigeons fed on Whitebeam berries on the tree, two Greylags ate the fallen ones underneath.

The main lake from the bridge.
I moved to the boardwalk. A single Common Darter and several Migrant Hawkers were present. The three juvenile Mute Swans had joined their mother and started upending near the boardwalk. I noticed that the swans can upend while keeping one of their feet tucked under their plumage.
The lake from the boardwalk.

Female Mute Swan with her three young.

The female upending using only its right leg for balance, the other leg is tucked under the plumage.

I spot a Gadwall at the other side of the lake, but I can't refind it. I only have 6 records of Gadwall at East Park, concentrated between August and December.
There are some Jackdaws about, hanging around a tree. I remember that I often see Jackdaws in this particular area and I see one of them leaving the tree with what it looks like nest material, so I pay more attention and see a Jackdaw entering a hole in the tree. It takes a little while, but it ends up peeking out, allowing me to take its photo.
As I watch the family of swans moves under some willow, I notice a small bird flying onto a willow branch, it's a Kingfisher! It sits on the brach for a while and makes some sort of display, but I can't see another individual. It moves around and even makes a fishing attempt, calling every time it changes perch.
Kingfisher display?




No comments: