Saturday 29 June 2019

Kilnsea Wetlands and Spurn Triangle

A very pleasant day at Kilnsea Wetlands and Spurn triangle, which got better as the day progressed. It started cloudy and with a cool breeze at the wetlands. A Spoonbill was around, but after a brief grooming session it had a long nap. There were plenty of gulls, including Herring, Common, Black-headed, Lesser Black-backed, Great Black-backed and later, 4 Little Gulls, which were new for the year for me. There were quite a few adult Avocets but no young. The only visible young were 7 Mallard ducklings.
Preening Spoonbill.
Adult Little Gulls amongst more common companions.

Butterflies
There were hundreds of Painted Ladies between Kilnsea Wetlands and Spurn Triangle, gorging on thistles, brambles and privet. There was a mix of worn and quite fresh individuals. Also Red Admirals, Small Tortoiseshells, Small Heaths, Common Blue, Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Large Skipper and Speckled Wood
Painted Lady, on thistle.

Large Skipper.
Mating Meadow Browns.
Small Heath. Another plentiful species in the Triangle.
Ringlet.

Beacon ponds
I move onto Beacon ponds to tick the Little Terns. On the way there I come across these mating red-tailed bumblebees. 
Then I see my first dragonfly, an Emperor patrolling a ditch, which disappears in a few seconds. As I jump to the other side of the ditch to pick up a tangled balloon, I disturb a large Grass Snake, which slithers into the grass, a site tick for me. The walk alongside Beacon Lane is peppered with more Painted Ladies.
A Dune chafer by the Blue Bell borrow pit.
Silver Ys feeding on Red Clover.
 Dragonflies
It is quite warm and sunny by 11, when I get to the Clubley scrape area. Dragonflies become quite evident, with a patrolling Emperor and several darters, including common, Ruddy and a stunning male Red-veined.
Common Darter.
Red-veined darter
Four-spotted chaser.
Blue-tailed skimmer male.
Common Darter.
Female Black-tailed skimmer, resting on some driftwood by the saltmarsh.
An Emperor resting.

I have my lunch at Canal Scrape hide. There is a pair of Swallows in residence. One of them sits on a post just by the hide, preening.
 and then starts sunbathing, opening it's bill and leaning to one side, feathers fluffed, I had never seen a swallow sunbathing before, but it makes sense as the sun is shining after many dull, cloudy days.

The view from the hide.
 I continue my walk alongside Canal Scrape bank, the Discovery centre is merging more and more with its surroundings.

No comments: