Saturday 15 June 2019

A sunny morning walk by the River Hull at Bransholme

There was a record of a Banded Demoiselle by the river Hull just in the boundary of the city las week so I took went to the river in the morning to see if I was lucky enough to see any. I parked by Ennerdale and walked alongside the left margin of the river from Sutton Bridge on the grassy bank most of the time hoping for some resting damselflies or dragonflies. I couldn't believe when shortly after I started I flushed a female Banded Demoiselle. She alighted further ahead on the bankside vegetation and I could even take some shots. This was my first Banded Demoiselle within the city boundaries. This species is expanding in the river Hull and can now be found easily near the Tickton area.
Female Banded Demoiselle.
A 24 spot ladybird, a new species for me.
I completed a butterfly survey too including Green-veined, Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral and a Painted Lady powering north by the river bank aided by the breeze.
 Further ahead, by Bransholme reservoir outlet, a male Banded Demoiselle fluttered by and settled on some reeds. Two makes a pair! I wonder if they will be able to breed in this stretch of the river Hull or they are just dispersing individuals from the upstream population. The river is strongly tidal here and there is not much floating vegetation, but they might be more lucky on the several drains that run through the city.
 I turned round to investigate two ponds I had spotted in Google Maps.
 There is a tarmac circuit with lights where some kids were cycling and in the centre of one of the loops two nice ponds.
The N pond. Quite exposed with bare sides, very promising for dragonflies! Today it was too breezy. I only saw a single Common Blue Damselfly.
The South Pond. 
The South Pond was sheltered by a line of trees. Also quite exposed and with aquatic plants and a few tufts of reeds. The middle floating platform was teeming with Common Blue Damselflies, including a mating pair. 
Azure Damselflies ovipositing on the S pond.

A walk by the river Hull is never complete without a grazing pony, here posing nicely for the camera.

No comments: