Monday 29 April 2019

Leven Canal and Leven Carrs

Since I walked the River Hull a couple of years ago, I have wanted to walk the Leven Canal. The canal, 5 km long, is not in use for navigation, and is actually split in half and not connected to the River Hull, but since 1962 it is a SSSI due to it's aquatic flora. The canal is fed by springs and its waters are very transparent, the submerged, wrinkled leaves of the Yellow Water Lily visible. The canal path is enclosed by overgrown hedgerows in its first stretch, but then it opens up and appears higher than the surrounding countryside, affording views across the low-lying, generally flat area surrounding it, while still lined with reeds and scrub with occasional willows and hedgerows. There are two bridges to navigate, one pedestrian, which sits atop the aqueduct that allows Holderness Drain to cross the canal (although the canal has been infilled in this stage, and the Waterloo Bridge, from which I took the photo above. Up to this bridge the land is cultivated and there are small copses, but in the area between this bridge and the river Hull there is wet grassland, which is being managed under a stewardship scheme to enhance its biodiversity value.
Leven Carrs.
The weather was fair, calm, but cloudy, and cold, about 10 degrees C. I parked on Carr Lane in the village about 9:00 and joined the canal path at Sandholme bridge, by the caravan park. Birds were in full song, warblers in particular, with Willow, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Reed and then a Sedge Warbler, my first this year.
Sedge Warblers were indeed singing at regular intervals all along the canal. Whitethroat joined the warbler list not long after and further along the canal, by Leven Carrs near the river, 4 Cetti's warblers were in song. Despite my best efforts I had just a glimpse of one of them as it skulked in brambles. The best was still to come. I realised I was hearing the reeling song of a Grasshopper warbler! I had been unable to see/hear one in the last couple of years, so that was a very pleasant surprise. On the wetlands north of the canal, several waders were present: Whimbrel, Greenshank, a pair of Little Ringed Plovers, a pair of Oystercatchers, and Lapwing.  Also Mallard with ducklings, Shelduck, Wigeon, Greylags and a few Black-headed gulls. I wished I had a telescope as some birds were too distant. As I reached the river Hull, three Sand Martins flew north.
Reeling Grasshopper Warbler.
 I turned back and reached the Grasshopper warbler again and decided to have lunch on the path there in case it became visible. It was singing from the other side on the canal. I scanned the area and managed to see it through some reeds at the same time that a cuckoo called (for some reason I often hear cuckoos in my lunch time, around 12:00, coincidence?).
On the way back a few sunny spells and slightly warmer temperature meant some butterflies were on the wing. Peacock, Orange Tip, Speckled Wood and Green-veined White were recorded.
Yellowhammer.
Female Linnet with nest material. 
Brown Hare. It seemed to have some sort of abscess/injury on its shoulder, but it could run well, and it seemed to be enjoying rolling on the soil.
Male Linnet singing.
Orange Tip, overexposed, but they are so hard to get. It flew off before I had the chance to adjust the settings.
Another view of Leven Canal.

I must return to the canal later in the year during peak dragonfly season.

More information
An informative video on the creation of wetlands and fenland in Leven Carrs. Here.

No comments: