Monday 1 April 2019

Alkborough in flood

Spring tides and the high river Trent has meant that Alkborough Flats have flooded. Many of the field had water and some of the paths are only passable with wellies. It was a sunny morning, but with a chilly breeze. On arrival at the bottom car park a Cetti's singing, then a Chiffchaff. I had three Cetti's singing across the site during my walk today. I walked to the main hide. A pinging male Bearded tit gave me some brief views amongst the reeds, but it was my first this year. In the distance, a large flock of Black-tailed Godwits.
82 Black-tailed Godwits
 As I approached the hide I could hear the Avocets. There were well over 150, very active and quarrelsome amongst themselves.
In their usual spot at the back there was a pair of Pintail upending.
Many mallard on site, more that I've ever seen. As I was preparing to leave a Water Rail made an appearance in the clearing between the reeds, shortly followed by another.
Water Rail, amongst the greening reeds.
 I decided to do a circular walk by the Trent. There was an aggressive Mute Swan chasing any Greylag that dared landing on its patch. The coots were left alone. Two pairs of Little Grebes called from the reeds.
One of the entrances of what appears to be a Badger sett on the sea wall.
The view from the Trent, upstream. A wooded cliff by the river on the background.
Black-tailed godwits on breeding plumage on flooded field.
A Jay watching from a large tree. The mixed habitats of old trees by the wetlands means you can watch a Jay while hearing a Cetti's singing.
I returned to the main hide and had my lunch there. Marsh Harriers passes flushed the waders regularly. Buzzards, three at some point, were also soaring over the reserve.
Some quarrelling Avocets.
As I was taking my wellies off by the car I heard a swallow alarm call, and looking up, there it was, perched on a wire by the sewage works, my first Swallow of the year. I took a couple of quick photos and it took off, flying high and then north.

No comments: