Monday 10 December 2018

Sunny December at Spurn and Kilnsea Wetlands

After a very wet and miserable week, the sun shone yesterday and today. In search of broad horizons, as much light as possible and a lifer I headed to Kilnsea. As I drove past Easington, I scanned the fields for swans. Just as I was getting to Long Bank I saw two swan flocks at the other side of the field. After parking at Kilnsea Wetlands car park I approached, staying behind the cover of the WWII pillbox. The swans were 11 Whoopers and 14 Mute swans with plenty of young, feeding on crop tops. It didn't take long to spot the odd one out, a White-fronted Goose, which stayed close to the Whooper Swans as it fed. This was a lifer and my 221st British bird.
White-fronted goose and friends.
After watching the geese and swans for a while I moved onto Kilnsea Wetlands. Although frosty, it was calm and it didn't feel too cold. I noticed a loud roar, which I presumed it was the sea, but the lack of wind made it feel very strange. The only birder in the hide had stayed for a couple of days in the caravan park and commented of the loud noise all night, blaming the wind turbines offshore.
 Flocks of Brent Geese passed over one after the other, with their barking/purring calls. There were Lapwings and Wigeon feeding with the grazing sheep. A hare crossed the water onto the island, and, after a short nibble if pressed itself onto the ground, and tucked her ears in: a complete metamorphosis onto a lump of earth.
Lapwing and sheep.
Hare. Now you see it...
Now you don't.
Wigeon grazing.
I carried on, walking towards the beach. The origin of the roaring noise became apparent. Despite the light wind, the breakers were quite high and noisy, and the sea looked brown. Maybe the angle of the wind caused these puzzling sea conditions?
 After reaching the Blue Bell car park I walked towards the Crown and Anchor. Dunlin, Redshank and Grey Plovers fed on the mudflats. A curious mixed flock of Shelduck and two Brent Geese flew past. A good size comparison of a small geese with a large duck!
Shelduck and Brent Geese.
I continued my walk on Chalk Bank. The only sighting of notice was a flock of Yellowhammers, I counted 14 when they flew off. This was a site tick for me.
Yellowhammers.
Saltmarsh looking southwest.
 After a hot drink in the Discovery Centre and quick lunch at Canal Scrape I carried on. Two Stonechats were busy feeding on a stubble field.
 Female Stonechat.
The male, which was ringed, came to a closer fence post each time it fed, until it was just a couple of meters away.
Male Stonechat.
After this close encounter, I walked back to Kilnsea Wetlands with not much to report. Two Roe Deer walked along at the other side of the field. The swans had merged into a single flock and were a bit closer to the road, but the light was harsher than in the morning. 
White fronted goose and swans.

No comments: