Monday 26 November 2018

November at Alkborough Flats

A forecast of showers coming from the East made me decide to visit Alkborough Flats, a place where I can happily spend some time entertained in a hide. Not long after parking a skein of Pink-footed Geese flew overhead and a Bearded tit 'pinged' as it flew into reeds. As I approached the main hide, large flocks of Lapwing rose over the flats. A crescent of Lapwing were roosting in front of the hide, sprinkled with Teal and Shoveler and a few distant Golden Plover. A group of Black-tailed Godwit and Spotted Redshank were resting near the hide. A shower started and the birds appeared even more hunkered down. There were at least two Marsh Harriers about, which regularly sent frenzied flocks of Lapwing into the sky as they quarterer the wetlands.

A large boat, being watched by a Marsh Harrier.
There were only two Avocets today, one of them fitted with plastic rings, which looked a bit worn. I couldn't read the letters on them if they had any.
Spotted Redshank.
More Lapwing.
The Marsh Harrier resting on a dead tree.

More Lapwing commotion.
Drake Shoveler.
A few Ruff amongst the Lapwing.
 A movement in the corner of my eye: a Water Rail in a gap between the reeds. I manage just one focused photo before it dives into the reeds again.
Water Rail.

 The shower passed and a few sunny spells on the go, I leave the hide, and I take a walk toward the trent hide. Eight Whooper Swans fly over, quite low. I follow them expecting them to land in the fields but they appear to carry on.
 Sheep are still grazing the pasture, and this time there is no Barnacle Geese to be seen.
 I'm pleasantly surprised to spot a pair of Brent Geese grazing amongst the sheep.
As I return towards Alkborough I see the Whooper Swans feeding on a distant field.
Whooper Swans.
 I climb to the village via the path to Julian's Bower and then return to the car park. At Low Wells I check for Water Crickets, Velia caprai. Not the best light conditions, but I managed some shots.
 On a field next to the pond, 20 Curlew are feeding with Woodpigeons, and by the car park a Chiffchaff calls, putting an end to the trip.
Curlew.

No comments: