Monday 22 May 2017

River Hull. Stage 10. Leven Canal to Baswick Landing

This is a very remote and beautiful stretch of the River Hull, with just a few farms. Not only there are no bridges, there are few roads reaching it, so after some consideration I decided to start the stage at Baswick Steer farm, where I parked, walk down river until Leven Canal and then return via the same route.
 It was a warm, sunny day with a southerly breeze. Baswick Steer is a farm by the River Hull with a gate that allows access to the public footpath down river. On the opposite bank is Tophill Low, the Yorkshire Water nature reserve, so I expected to see some interesting wildlife.
 Most of the river floodplain here, as in previous stages, is on very low lying agricultural land and pastures, the large fields are drained by ditches, with hedgerows and the occasional copse. The river is still corseted by high grassy, level clay banks. The water is now quite clear, and there are some open accessible banks where I could see fish and aquatic invertebrates (top). Reed Buntings call all through the stage from patches of reeds. A Cetti's Warbler sings near High Baswick farm.
Despite the signs of Public Right of Way, gates between the farms did not appear to welcome the walker, as several were either padlocked, tied shut or were not easy to open. The path over the bank hasn't been mowed in months either, and in a section south of Linley Hill the grass is up to my waist.
 I pass by Wilfholme Landing, with colourful boats and boathouses where Swallows are nesting. There is also a House Martin colony in one of the houses and a pair of Pied Wagtails.
 This is also the first stage in the river in which I see dragonflies, the first one a Hairy Dragonfly near Leven Canal, which rises from the grass before I can take a photo. Also Large Red Damselfly and a couple of blue ones that don't settle.
I finally reached Leven Canal, a SSSI which runs in 5 straight km between Leven and the river. I had my lunch as a cuckoo called. A beautiful female Broad-bodied Chaser flew over, carrying prey. It found a sheltered spot by some brambles and settled, allowing close views. As I was still sitting eating, a Hobby! I dropped my food and grabbed the binoculars. What stunning raptors they are! Before it disappeared over the trees I even managed a record shot.
 It was time to turn round and retrace my steps (4.22 km each way was today's stage). The path I had opened on the tall grass made the going easier.
 Near Linley Hill Farm, I see a couple of black labradors on the bank, just ahead of me. Nobody is with them, my heart quickens. They spot me and come barking furiously. Shielding myself behind my backpack, I greet them as if they were my dogs, cheering and asking them to walk along back home. One of them calms down straight away and starts trotting back to the farm, the other barks for a while longer, but finally follows the other. I breathe a sigh, put my backpack on and carry on. Fortunately, they don't come out of the farm as I walk past.
 As I get to Baswick Landing, I go down to the bank to wash my feet. It's a muddy bank. I look forward to the chalk banks upstream for a dip!
 As I put the 4 km2 lists in Birdtrack, I realise that I've had 60 bird species today, a very decent list given it wasn't a nature reserve.
Baswick Steer farm, looking upstream. Tophill Low is on the left hand side beyond the river bank. 
The tiny jetty at Baswick Landing. 
A Moorhen busy carrying nesting material to the other side bank. 
Shelduck and ducklings. The drake flew off and circled over, trying to distract me from his family. 
Canada Geese family. 
An Oystercatcher rises to mob a Marsh Harrier near Tophill Low. 
Singing Whitethroat. 

Spotty horse. 
The flock of domestic geese have a couple of goslings. 
Colourful boats at Wilfholme Landing. 
Singing Swallow on a boat. 
The meandering river Hull. 
Little Egret.
mmmm... 
Female Broad-bodied Chaser. 
Record shot of Hobby
Large Red damselfly. 
The path I opened in the bank, on the way back. 
6 spot Burnet caterpillar (thanks to Harry Witts for ID). 
Benches overlooking the river at Linley Hill farm. 
Pied Wagtail by Baswick Steer Farm.
Mayfly. 
Stone Loach, thanks to Harry Witts and Robert Jaques for ID. 
Leech.

The stage map
Check the wild at Hull map for more details.

More information
Leven Canal. A Yorkshire Dragonfly Group site.
Tophill Low Nature Reserve. Website.

No comments: