Tuesday 23 April 2024

Train trip: Filey and Filey Brigg in strong winds

I catch the 8:21 train to Filey and I'm there by 9:30. It is a day of unexpected showers, strong northerly wind and sunny spells. I donned my winter coat as the Brigg is very exposed. Low tide was at 11:08, so I decided to head to the Brigg by the beach and then return by Carr Naze. I was hoping the walk to the Brigg would be mostly sheltered from the wind, although it mostly turned out not to be. The flock of Ostercatchers comes down to the beach from the country park. I scan the beach and the bay, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see a drake Eider very close to the tideline. A bit later, I find a little corner in the cliff that is a bit sheltered and I scan the bay again. There are two Great Northern Divers and a Scoter, and a bit further what I think is a guillemot but turns out to be a Red-throated Diver. At the Brigg itself, Shags and Cormorants, a few Purple Sandpipers, a lone Knot and some Oystercatchers. Foam blows across the Brigg, the waves breaking against it. I brace myself and keep walking towards the end of the Brigg. Three Purple Sandpipers are feeding right beside me, oblivious to my presence. Two Herring gull juveniles chase each other over a piece of kelp.

Station Herring Gull.
Singing Linnet.
Drake Eider.
A Pied Wagtail sheltering from the wind.
There are two Great Northern Divers in the bay, a bit distant, but one looks immature and the other adult.
Scoter.
Shags, Cormorant and Herring Gull at the Brigg.
Red-throated Diver.
Knot and foam.
Purple Sandpiper.
Turnstone.
After the bracing walk to the end, it's time to return to the relative shelter of Carr Naze. On the slopes there is a Meadow Pipit and a male Stonechat.

Stonechat.
Filey Bay from Carr Naze.

Other than St Mark's Flies and some snails, there are few active invertebrates out. I move onto the north cliff. The wind is really strong and taking any sharp photos a challenge. That is why I don't even notice that this Kittiwake, the only one on the colony, is ringed. Fortunately I can read the code and have reported. Will update here when I hear back.

At the other side of the Kittiwake, there are a few Fulmars, some circling and enjoying the strong wind, others tucked in their nest sites.


Guillemots.
Puffin.
Razorbills courting. The female picked a stone.
Standing high and a bit of bowing
Wing flap and yawn.
The female crouched past the male, and they mated.
A bit more standing up.
Guillemot colony.
A view of the Brigg.
I had a packed lunch, but I decide to have a coffee and lunch out of the wind, so I head for Frothies, which has excellent coffee, before taking the 14:17 train back. 
Another Pied Wagtail.

No comments: