Tuesday 14 February 2023

A riverbank walk to Kingswood

 

The foghorns boomed from the Humber indicating the deep fog. I thought it would lift, but the fog lingered all morning, the sun looking behind a veil of clouds for some moments, but then more fog coming. I walked North along the River Hull from Oak Road, I thought I'd walk around Oak Road Lake on the way back, but I had to take the bus back, so no check on the swans.

Two Little Grebes, dived in the Beverley and Barmston drain at Beresford Avenue, looking south. The EA has been cutting trees growing by bridges, and there was a view north from the bridge, but no Little Grebes.

There is a flock of Siskins feeding on the Alders on the other bank of the river, but I'm  distracted by a male Blackcap, then a female, on the same birch, and I manage a record shot.

Female Blackcap.
I cross Sutton Bridge, there are only a few dog walkers on the riverbank.
There is nothing out of the ordinary at the Bransholme Reservoir, but Little Grebes are engaged in their trilling display in the reeds. There are some Teal and Shoveler. A Skein of Pink-footed Geese flies north, calling over the fog.
This Kestrel dropped from the trees catching something. When it flew away I saw a large worm dangling from its talons.
Rabbit.
Another Kestrel by the river.
Reed Bunting singing.
The Sun behind the fog, showing some prominent sunspots. 
A loose flock of Reed Buntings, some of the 7 in bushes by the riverbank.
Just one Skylark sung weakly, another flew over the river, what a difference the weather makes!
Matthew M had told me he saw a Stonechat last week on the fields north of Reich Carter Way. I was about to give up on it when I spotted it on the other bank, and that put an end to the walk.


The long grass, scrubby bank of the river makes a good wintering habitat for the Stonechat.


Stonechat.






2 comments:

Ralph Hancock said...

Apart from some good bird pictures, how remarkable to be able to photograph sunspots with an ordinary camera.

Africa Gomez said...

I found it amazing too, then I found out there is a sunspot community discussing aspects of the sunspots, and a website where sunpots photos are updated hourly!