Saturday 7 May 2022

Sculcoates in May

 I take an early morning walk to Sculcoates, getting there at 7:15. On the way I notice the Greylag is brooding goslings, they must be about 3 days old now. A fledgling Stock Doves is basking on a tree, looking drabber than the adults, no metallic sheen on its neck. It's eye is paler too.

Stock Dove fledgling.
This photo is from Wednesday, when I sadly saw that the watchful pair of Lesser Black-backed gulls had got a gosling. I didn't see any other goslings, but they were probably being brooded, as the next day I saw them on the island. Crows are particularly displeased with LBBG and I often see the local crows mobbing them. It is not the adults that are at risk, but the nestlings or fledglings.

Two Whitethroats are singing by the drain, and at regular intervals, 3 Reed Warblers. One of them sings in the open
Song Thrush.
Reed Warbler.
Surprisingly Coots have 8 chicks. Several must have been roosting on the shore last time I saw the family, when only 2 chicks were visible.
Reed Warbler.
In the north cemetery, a family of Long-tailed tits is feeding on the large oak. Three of the fledglings sit close together on a branch, watching and preening.


There are some sunny spells and butterflies about. A female Orange Tip settles on a cow parsley flower, almost disappearing from view, perfectly camouflaged.

Holly Blues have been around in good numbers this week.

A Buzzard was soaring over the river. The Feral Pigeons flew around the large building in a tight flock and Carrion Crows kept a close eye.

Whitethroat singing.

I find a Fox family in a sheltered spot, enjoying the peace and quiet of the morning. The cubs were quite active, while one of the adults dozed nearby. I counted 5 foxes in total.

There is a bumper harvest of dandelions on the grassy areas. Today I was surprised to see that sparrows also enjoy their seeds.

Male House Sparrow feeding on dandelion seeds.

No comments: