Tuesday 2 November 2021

A blustery day, the roads and pavements covered on swirling leaves. I cancel my plans to travel and walk to the mouth of the River Hull instead, via the Sculcoates patch. I get to Wilmington Bridge half an hour before low tide. A Cormorant is sitting on the bend where gulls usually loaf, flapping its wings vigorously in the wind. It's the first Cormorant I see on the river bank in this area.


Cormorant.
There are two Redshanks feeding, well spread, I flush one just by the bridge, the other one is further upstream. 
Redshank
Redshank.
I walk downstream and then rejoin the drain at Fountain road. The thick reed bed is furiously swaying in the wind. 
A quick stop at Chapman Street bridge doesn't reveal much, but there are more Redshanks downstream from Scott Street bridge.
A hunched up Lesser Black Gull at Scale ln Bridge, the only one I see today.

Mallard.
These Black-headed gulls are sheltering from the gale behind the wall at the mouth of the river.
A group of braver Black-headed gulls.

I almost miss the Curlew, which is feeding on the muddy slopes by Ha'penny Bridge. I have to hold on hard onto my phone to take the photo above.

Curlew.
On my way back, I spot the Mediterranean Gull atop Princes Quay. 

No comments: