Sunday 8 November 2020

Urban birding at Hull: General and Western cemetery

A misty day, I head for a walk on the cemetery. It is usually very quiet on early Sunday mornings. The cemetery feels lighter as many trees have lost their leaves, and the remaining ones are showing their structure. I'm impressed by a very large oak (above). 

I spot a Stock Dove high on the trees. They are so easy to miss unless you know their characteristic song, usually timid and keeping to themselves in singles or pairs.

Stock Dove.
And then I see a Tawny Owl nest, with the Friends of the Hull General Cemetery initials. I hope the nest gets in use soon, there is definitely Tawny Owl activity as I heard and saw 3 individuals today at dusk. I spend some time in the afternoon reading the articles on the history of the cemetery in the Friends website.
I cross onto Western Cemetery, with its more open parkland. There is a large Whitebeam, but the remaining berries are harder to reach. Blue tits and Great tits appear to be feeding on berries. Two Mistle Thrushes are squabbling for possession of the whitebeam, and the Blackbirds are taking advantage, some hanging down from branches to reach them.

Mistle thrush getting some hanging berries.
Greenfinch.
A line of crab apples full of fruit.
Several Woodpigeons, including this young one, fed on holly berries.
This adult had a pretty full crop.
Before returning home, I take some photos of the autumn cemetery.



No comments: