Thursday 1 October 2020

End of september at East Park

I spent a morning and early afternoon at East Park. I was searching for Willow Emerald damselflies for Hull Dragons, but none were seen. There were plenty of Migrant Hawkers about, concentrated around the boardwalk, with three copulating pairs and an ovipositing female. A single Common Darter was ovipositing near the boardwalk. After a few weak dips in the water, it fell in. If helplessly tried to climb a fence post, with no luck. I ended up rescuing it with a long stick. It looked like an old individual, with a front leg missing and a red flush. After sitting on my hand, basking and drying, it flew up onto the trees.

Male migrant hawker.
Migrant Hawkers mating.
Ovipositing Migrant hawker.
A common darter female fell on the water.

I walked around the lake a couple of times. The oaks are bursting with acorns. A group of Rooks, which I haven't seen on the ground in the park, flew onto the oaks. Two pairs of Jackdaws were about too. A Grey Heron sat on the central island.

I hear regular Wingflap noises coming from a tree. It sounds like a Woodpigeon's, but single flaps, not like a fight. I get closer and peer amongst the foliage. There is a Woodpigeon sitting on its nest, and a Carrion Crow, right beside it. The woodpigeon's neck is expanded, it jabs with its bill, but mostly flaps at the crow. Turning around the nest as the crow tries to go around. This goes on for a while and I can't say how the standoff finished, but I guess that's how crows get Woodpigeons eggs.

Two Grey Wagtails fly across and along the lake near the bridge. Earlier in the year, some recently fledged were in the same area.
I look under the willow branches, and spot a pale duck. It is a Red-crested Pochard. When I first came to Hull there were a few at East Park, probably of captive origin, but I hadn't seen one there in ages. This one appears quite nervous and doesn't come to the open much, sticking to the area under the willows, by an island.
Red-crested Pochard.
And right by the pochard, on an old coot's nest, three terrapins basking on the sun.
As I walk by the other side of the lake, where there are plenty of hawthorns and rowans, I spot two Redwings. I have been seeing Redwings in flight for the last few days, it feels quite early to see them already in Hull.
Redwing.
The Great-Crested grebe family has done very well, and three grown chicks are fed, while some Black-headed gulls look on, just in case they can snatch the fish that the adult is bringing to the chicks. 
In the paddling pool area, a chaffinch is having a bath.
Some Jackdaws have also landed there. A bird that is not very common in Hull.
A Chiffchaff calls from a sycamore near the splash boat.

Caddis fly.
Little Grebe with stickleback.
All in all I list 41 species of birds seen, not bad for an urban park at all.

No comments: