Tuesday 9 June 2020

Migrants Way. Stage 7. Garton to Aldbrough

 A beautiful sunny, mild morning with no wind, I head to the start of the walk at St Michael's Church, Garton.
The first part of the walk is inland, due to lack of access, but the last stretch before Aldbrough I do on the clifftop path.
There is a new woodland by Garton, a Willow Warbler sings from it. Beacon Hill, on the right reaches 25 m over sea level. The public footpath is straight, a track between fields of wheat and barley. As I top a ridge I can see the sea, with Flamborough in the horizon.
A Skylark sits on the wooden footbridge over East Newton Drain (top shot).
After this, there is a field of flax, which is starting to bloom.
At Ringbrough Farm I hear the first Corn Bunting. On the way back I count five singing males around the farm, two of them on the approach road, singing on the wires, the rest atop hedgerows. At some point, three species of bunting are in the same hedgerow near the farm building.
Corn Bunting.
Yellowhammer.

A Yellowhammer carries food, nervous atop a hedge. 
A new road was built when a Gas storage facility was set up in the area. I carry on the straight path to East Newton, I see a Grey Partridge ahead, but it scurries into the field as I get closer. 
Grey Partridge record shot
There is still no access to the clifftop path on East Newton, despite it being quite close to the sea. Some of the farm buildings are derelict, but boulders line the fields to deter parking. Tree Sparrows chirp from a tiled roof. I follow the minor road to Aldbrough. 
Cliff Farm, East Newton.
The house at Low Farm has a thriving House Martin colony; Swallows fly in and out of Hill Top farm; Sand Martins are present through the walk feeding over the fields, presumably breeding along the cliffs. Strangely, I see not a single Swift. I surprise a Brown Hare making an impressive impersonation of a lump of soil on a side road. 

I am a rock.
At Old Dale road I finally join the clifftop path to Aldbrough. A Reed Bunting sings from an oilseed rape field. 
The cliffs here are quite high, 20 m, and slumped in places, instead of a sheer cliff. The rapid rate of erosion is patent in the two colour sea.
A Meadow Pipit by the clifftop path.
Lambwath stream is born just south of the caravan park at Aldbrough. Despite starting just a few metres from the sea, by the fishing ponds of the caravan park, it flows west. A few miles away there is an infilled basin of a holocene mere, with water chestnut, a plant not found in the UK nowadays, is Lambwath meadows SSSI.
 I arrive at Aldbrough. Most of the caravans closest to the cliff edge have been removed, their concrete bases witness of their previous locations. A fisherman appears to have found a way down, and a family with young children, bucket and spade, start cautiously climbing down the clay cliff.
Swallow singing at Aldbrough.
 I walk a little further and scan the sea. I spot two Porpoises several times, but I can't find them with the camera. Herring Gulls pass by, four Black-headed gulls float offshore. A Fulmar powers north right over the cliff, then a Kestrel coasts over the beach, below me, on the opposite direction. 
Looking north from Aldbrough
I return to East Newton, stopping by a clifftop path at Cliff Farm, for lunch. A Gannet passes by in front of the wind turbines. A noisy plane overhead disturbs an Oystercatcher near Ringbrough. I make my way back, counting Corn Buntings.
Featured bird: Corn Bunting
A farmland species, associated to open arable land with few trees, the Corn Bunting is strongly sedentary, with small movements in the winter, when it flocks. It has suffered strong declines related to changes in agricultural intensification and is a red listed species in the UK, with an estimated 11,000 territories. Corn Buntings have strong bills that allow them to feed on large cereal seeds such as wheat and barley, and they will feed on stubbles and weedy tracks. Males often sing their song reminiscent of jingly keys from wires and atop hedgerows.

Walk information
June. 11 km circular. Start: Garton Church TA270354. Finish at Aldbrough Seaside Rd. No toilet facilities.

No comments: