Monday 18 March 2019

South Landing to Danes Dyke

The tide was low, but rising, the wind had eased and it was sunny so I decided to go to South Landing. I walked around the reserve woodland. A Yellowhammer called from a tree.
I watched the beach from the viewing point. A drake Eider was at the bay. As I descended the now repaired steps it became closer to the beach. Hard to take photos with facing the sun, but these were my best.


 Seven Oystercatchers, a Curlew, two Redshank and a few Turnstones fed on the sand by the rising tide. I was surprised not to see any Rock Pipits, but a dapper male Pied Wagtail was on the rocks. Colt's Foot flowers were aplenty and male mining bees fed on them.
I decided on a whim to walk to Danes Dyke via the beach, and then return on the top path as the tide would then be quite high.
Around eight Fulmars clucked on their nest sites, with one circling. There was a small group of eider, one immature drake and four females foraging offshore. I got to Danes Dyke at noon and had a lovely picnic on the rocks. It suddenly became cloudy and cooler. As I took the top cliff I found a Tiger Beetle on the path, which was cold and unable to fly, my first this year.
Green Tiger beetle.
Redshank.
Eiders.
Carline Thistle growing on the cliffs grasslands.
Three Common Scoters flying east. This photo reminds me of the contrast between the calm bay and the waves on the horizon, which looked like distant rolling hills. The wind was quite light, but changed from W to E in the afternoon, I wonder if the change created this strange pattern?
A young seal carcass at South Landing.
A Scandinavian Rock pipit, on its own at South Landing. Thanks to Mark James Pearson for the ID.


Pied Wagtail.
Porpoise Carcass at South Landing.
The steep steps down to South Landing, newly repaired.

Colt's foot. 
Danes Dyke.
Looking back towards Beacon Hill.

No comments: