Friday 18 January 2019

January at Kilnsea and Spurn

I realised at the end of last year that I had never beet to Spurn on January, so this cold morning I put and end to this and headed there. A dusting of frost covered Holderness, the low sun glowing behind fuzzy clouds. I saw a distant flock of swans on the fields as I was arriving at Kilnsea, so after parking I walked to the pill box to have a look. A group of roe deer resting on the edge of a field appeared to be watching them too.
They were about 30 swans scattered in groups. Most Mute Swans but at least one of them a Whooper, but they were too distant for my binoculars. Magpies, Starlings and Curlew fed by the long bank scrapes amongst the sheep.
 I carried on towards the Kilnsea wetlands hide. As I approached I realised the wetland was frozen over, with small pockets of water. The only birds present were a flock of Lapwing and Black-tailed Godwits. I watched for a while. They appeared quite flighty and scanning for raptors I realised there was a Buzzard on a post almost opposite the hide. It appeared to be sunbathing, wings half spread, but it wasn't sunny at the time. I have seen them in a similar stance in rain.
I carried on. Two hares darted across the field towards Westmere Farm.
The birds had moved onto Beacon Ponds. Many Wigeon and Teal, but no chance of spotting a Green-winged teal with no telescope or the comfort of a hide. A Goldeneye, a Little Grebe and a single Brent Goose were also about.
Goldeneye.
I wandered north along the beach by Beacon Ponds in hope of finding shore larks, but no luck either. There was little about, or maybe I didn't go far enough.
I turned round and walked along the beach, and then along Beacon Lane. A fox scuttled away, just a red glimpse with big triangular dark ears and fluffy tail, no chance for a photo, my first fox of the year! A Song Thrush skulked between bushes.
 I walked along the cliff top. Usual Little Grebe and Mallard on the borrow pit. Added Meadow Pipit to my year list. A dozen linnets bounced along the dry grass. I got to the Breach and watched the waders on the mudflats. Grey Plover, Ringed Plover, Redshank, Shelduck, Curlew. On the Warren bushes three Yellowhammers and Reed Buntings.
After a hot drink in the Discovery Centre I moved to canal scrape hide. Mostly frozen, only the Mute Swans icebreaking had kept some free water, which was being used by a small group of Mallard and Teal.
The icebreaking Mute Swan pair at Canal Scrape.
It was time to get back to the car. I found a lovely trio of Roe Deer feeding on the field.
Roe Deer.
Black-tailed Godwit near the Crown and Anchor.
I caught up with the Hares again, this time they were snoozing in the middle of a field.
Kestrel on a barn roof.
I decided to make a quick stop at Sammy's Point before heading back in case the swans gave better views and I'm glad i did. A fox run ahead of the car as I was arriving and I could see that swans were a little closer. A family of six Whoopers were in view and also the White-fronted Geese, near a mute swan.
White-fronted Goose with mute swan.
 
Whooper Swan family
Brent Geese on a field.

No comments: