Monday 2 July 2018

The River Hull at Snakeholm Pastures

I headed to Wansford and Snakeholm Pastures, a sunny, very warm morning. I tried to stay on exposed, breezy sites as horseflies were very aggressive, and took any opportunity to attack when I was holding the camera with both hands. I first had a little walk around Wansford, Driffield Navigation and the Mill Farm lake.
A school of Minnow near the bridge.
Roach and...
Brown Trout in Driffield Navigation
The only things of note on the lake were a family of Pied Wagtails with three fledglings and a Little Grebe.
Little Grebe.
Pied Wagtail.
 After that I walked by the river side on Snakeholm Pastures. An Oystercatcher flew over, and a Lapwing looked alarmed on an almost dry pond on the opposite shore. They were the only waders of the day.

 I was surprised to see a hunting Barn Owl in broad daylight, almost in the very same spot as last year during my walk on the River Hull. I watched it again on the way back, where it appeared to be hunting on a meadow. I saw a Kingfisher three times in my walk, as they were flying up or down river.

Dragonflies
I was very pleased to spot two Banded Demoiselle males patrolling along the riverbank. They didn't settle so I couldn't take photos. The same stretch of river was also hunted by a Brown Hawker, I only managed some poor flight shots as it was very active and didn't settle. I was luckier with Ruddy Darters, and damselflies, including my second Emerald Damselfly of the year. Altogether 7 odonata species.
A female Ruddy Darter perching in the obelisk position. This is a characteristic behaviour of sunny days adopted by dragonflies that hunt using the sit-and-wait strategy from a favourite perch and minimises the exposure of their abdomen to the sun.
A male Ruddy Darter on the obelisk position.
Male Ruddy Darter.
Female Ruddy Darter.
Mating Azure Damselflies.
Female Emerald Damselfly
A poor shot of one of the hunting Brown Hawkers. Their name doesn't make them justice as they look like burnished brass in the sunshine

Butterflies
Several species on the wing, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Small and Large Skippers, Ringlet and Meadow Brown. Several silver Y as well, which didn't settle.
Small Skipper.
Small Tortoiseshell.

The river was looking particularly stunning today, with the water crowfoot in bloom and the water very transparent.

 



No comments: